Metallic hydrogen

This is a great place to post questions and answers about the Sun.
Phobos

Metallic hydrogen

Post by Phobos » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi, this might be a stupid question. I've been reading about Jupiter and the fact that its atmosphere contains metallic hydrogen. Could this type of hydrogen exist on the Sun too?

lisa
Site Admin

Re: Metallic hydrogen

Post by lisa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:43 pm

Hi Phobos!

Not at all, thanks for the interesting questions!

The short answer is probably not in significant quantities. The reason is that metallic hydrogen is a molecule. Most of the Sun is so hot that molecules are unable to form. In fact, it is so hot that almost all of the atoms have been completely ionized, i.e. the electrons are stripped from the protons forming a plasma. That being said, there are places on the Sun that are slightly cooler (e.g Sunspots) where molecules can form. In fact there is even evidence of water molecules (H2O) on the sun, see this link for more information http://solar-center.stanford.edu/FAQ/Qwateronsun.html.

However, another thing to note, is that one of the things that make Metallic hydrogen so interesting is that it is highly conductive. Since the Sun is so hot that the atoms have been ionized, forming a plasma, the electrons and protons are free to move separately. This means that the Sun (and plasma in general) also has a high electrical conductivity.

All the best,
-Lisa

Phobos

Post by Phobos » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks Lisa! That's really interesting about there being water on the Sun!

ElectricDragon

Post by ElectricDragon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi Lisa and Phobos

Dr Pierre-Marie Robitaille has presented a paper that makes a very strong case for the sun being composed of liquid metallic hydrogen.
http://www.ptep-online.com/2013/PP-35-16.PDF

Taken in the context of the measurable electric and magnetic fields of the universe I would argue that the gravity-centric model of star formation is incorrect.

That the sun is more akin to Z-pinch point in a birkeland current acting like a giant capacitor makes a lot more sense.

The current scientific paradigm is being challenged by this theory. Investigate.

Peace. :idea:

lisa
Site Admin

Post by lisa » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:58 pm

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with ElectricDragon. Our understanding of the Sun and star formation is quite robust and firmly supported by the observations. While I certainly encourage scientific inquiry, I believe the notion of the electric universe and the ideas in Dr. Robitaille's paper are purely conjecture. As ElectricDragon recommended, I encourage you to Investigate, perhaps beginning with more information about the Journal which published the article that was referenced (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_in_Physics).

Cheers!
-Lisa

Phobos

Post by Phobos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:01 am

I agree, Lisa. If we know that Jupiter's atmosphere contains metallic hydrogen, surely we'd know if the Sun's does too! It's been studied enough.